When my dad was in the hospital, my aunt and uncle would bring me home each night from the hospital. We would listen to the contemporary Christian radio station each night. Well....it seemed like each night, a song would play that would be just what I needed to hear. In the past two months, I have grown to love Christian music again. I still love worship music, but I've found myself being drawn to music during the day that helps lift my soul, that encourages me to hang on to Jesus, and that expresses my thoughts on my dad's death. I have such a greater appreciation for music now since I have taken my "music fast"--I believe God can use music to help strengthen us. Here are some of the songs that have really been ministering to me...
Finally Home by MercyMe: "I'm going wrap my arms around my daddy's neck, and tell him that I've missed him, and tell him all about the (wo)man that I became, and hope that it pleased him. There's so much I want to say, there's so much I want you to know. - When I finally make it home, when I finally make it home."
My Faith Looks Up to Thee hymn: "While life's dark maze I tread, and griefs around me spread, be Thou my guide; bid darkness turn to day, wipe sorrow's tears away, nor let me ever stray from thee aside."Times by Tenth Avenue North: "I know I need You, I need to love You, I'd love to see You but it's been so long. I'd love to feel You, I feel this need for You, I need to hear You, is that so wrong?...But I hear You say, My love is over, it's underneath, it's inside, it's in between. The times you doubt me, and when you can't feel, the times that you question is this for real? The times that you're broken, the times that you mend, the times you hate me, the times that you bend....The times that you're healing, and when your heart breaks, the times that you feel like you've fallen from grace, the times that you're hurting, the times that you heal, the times you go hungry and are tempted to steal, in times of confusion, in chaos and pain, I'm there in your sorrow under the weight of your shame, I'm there there in your heart-ache, I'm there in the storm, My love I will keep you by my power alone, I don't care where you've fallen or where you have been, I'll never forsake you, my love never ends."
Thy Word by Amy Grant: "When I feel afraid and think I've lost my way, still You're there right beside me, nothing will I fear, as long as you are near, please be near me to the end."
Hold My Heart by Tenth Avenue North: "One tear in the driving rain, one voice in a sea of pain, could the Maker of the stars hear the sound of my breaking heart?, One life, that's all I am, right now I can barely stand, if You're everything You say You are, would You come close and hold my heart?"
Jesus Calling by 33 Miles: "You see there's always another story, another side to every coin, but how you see your circumstance is all about a choice. When you see the rushing wind, feel the pouring rain, hear the thunder now as the clouds roll in, you're blinded by the lightning. Do you also hear that still, small voice saying it's okay, you're not alone, you may be scared to death, but I won't let you go, you may think the sky is falling, but can you hear Jesus calling?"
All this to say....take some extra time to actually listen to the words of the songs that are playing on your radio. Hear the message of the songs - and let it speak to your heart. Don't let music play in the background just for "noise" so you don't have to listen to the thoughts that are rolling around in your mind. Take time to be still and silent; enjoy the quiet, but then let God speak to you through the wonderful gift of music.
No comments:
Post a Comment