The name Mark Futato probably doesn't mean much to you...and it didn't to me either, until last week. All I can say about him now is....Mark Futato = AMAZING! He is a professor from the Reformed Theological Seminary in Florida and came to Geneva to speak for the Vos lectures and chapel. For one of my classes, we were required to write a response paper for one of his lectures... Gotta say, I wasn't too happy about it at first, but after I heard him speak once...I was excited for the opportunity! He had such a good message - both times I heard him speak last week! His message was exactly what I needed to hear and has really challenged me to look at the book of Psalms in a new light-to see each Psalm as a picture of the human life...moving from sorrow to praise. As I mentioned...I had to write a paper for one of my classes... and, honestly, I just felt like it portrayed alot of what's been going on in my mind lately, so I wanted to share it with you all. :) So..... here is my paper; I'm sorry if I bore you. :)
~~~
Anne Bradstreet once said, “If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome." How true this is! Sorrow and pain can make a person even more thankful for the blessings in their life, if they realize that glory is their destiny. Mark Futato also shows this concept in his lecture, “The Psalms and Your Destiny” by comparing the movement in the book of Psalms to the trials and joys in the human life.
Mark Futato’s lecture on the Psalms and how they relate to the typical human life was very thought-provoking. He started his lecture by explaining that there was movement in not only the whole book of Psalms, but also in each Psalm. He compared this shift to the movement in the life of Jesus and each of our lives. Futato argued that in each Psalm, with the exception of Psalm 44 and Psalm 88, there is a progression from lamentation to praise. He showed that most Psalms start out with sorrow or disappointment. The writer then works through these emotions; by the end of the Psalm, he has shifted from sorrow to glory. Futato concluded his lecture by reminding his listeners that the book of Psalms is their book. They are free to use the laments to be honest with God and themselves about the reality of life. He mentioned that Jesus has gone further down in the depths than any human ever will. Because Jesus was honest with God in the midst of His sorrow, humans have the freedom to be honest and real as well. No matter how much life may stink at times, humans do not have to stay stuck in the sorrow. Jesus rose from the dead, moving from sorrow to glory. Just as the Psalms show, there is movement from lamentation to praise, foretelling the movement of the human life during a time of pain.
I believe Futato’s lecture was a reminder of our primary calling. God has called us to Himself above anything else. He wants our hearts and our hands. We may serve God and praise Him with our mouth, but He desires for our hearts to be changed. It is one thing to praise God when everything is going good, but can you still praise Him when life brings deep pain? In the midst of those rough times in life, do you still believe He will bring you out of the depths of sorrow to the heights of glory?
Personally, this lecture spoke volumes to me. I am currently going through the darkest moment in my life. After facing my father’s sudden hospitalization and death this past May, along with eight other deaths of friends and family since then, I have struggled with feeling God’s presence and His goodness. I have often wondered if I would ever come out of the depths of sorrow. After listening to this lecture, I was greatly encouraged. I was having a “down day” when I heard Futato speak; I did not feel like my pain was ever going to go away. However, by the end of the lecture, I was optimistic that God would bring me out of this situation and move me towards glory. While I did read the Psalms many times this summer to bring comfort, I never saw the movement Futato explained. Now, however, each time I read a Psalm, I am reminded of the shift that takes place. I see the change from sorrow and pain to glory and praise. It is a reminder to me that I can be honest with God about my emotions and trust Him to bring me through.
Just as Futato explained, the Psalms show a movement that is very similar to the path humans must take at times. Sorrow and pain may come into our life, but the Psalms point to our destiny. There will come a change so that you can praise God again; our destiny is glory. Life may not be full of sunshine and blue skies at the moment, but it is the rain that brings the rainbow. If I just trust God to move through my laments with His grace, I will advance from sorrow to glory. There is no need to stay stuck in my grief. Jesus fell into great depths of despair for me and still came out victorious; if He is truly the Lord of my life, how can I not do the same?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment